December 2011: All of my classes are currently held in the Heart Room at the Heart of Wellness

5:30-6:45 pm Monday

Yoga for Every Body

This is an energizing and renewing time with personal suggestions to modify and strengthen your practice.


9-10:30 am Saturday

Yin Yoga

A quiet, meditative time of holding poses for a few minutes. We use a lot of props and soften the muscles in order to gently stretch the connective tissue.

Click here for directions to the Heart of Wellness

Friday, July 15, 2011

Changes

Time seems to be moving faster and activities like writing on this blog have inadvertently fallen by the wayside. I’ve thought of many topics to write about over the last 3 years but have been rather busy caring for my 3 and 5 year old children. I am finally taking the time to transform some of my thoughts into “blissful banter”. About 3 years ago, I began teaching at the Valley Athletic Club. I was hesitant to be employed by them because I was quite sure that our values would not be in alignment. It is a health club and not a yoga studio. I thought my days of teaching outside the yoga community were over – until I started at The Valley. To my delight and surprise, I had a great space to build thriving classes that became larger than I wished. The club members soaked up my love of yoga and many sweet connections were made.

In the beginning, I was really happy teaching at the valley. There were a lot of perks and it felt like a blessing to simply show up and teach. In time, there were different things that came up which made me realize that I could not be 100% authentic to the teachings of yoga and continue to work in a “zero tolerance environment". My family appreciated the reliability of a paycheck so I went with the flow and did my best to teach authentic classes.

One day, the management made it clear that I was working at a place that did not trust my judgment and honor my healthy lifestyle. I felt offended and knew that my husband would support me in just saying “No thank you”. My employment was immediately terminated and they had someone there to teach the class that I had built. It was shocking to my family. We built our lives around the club: swim lessons, soccer classes – Dorothy was about to start ballet classes too. All of that stopped abruptly.

Fortunately, I tend to land on my feet….most of the time. There was about a week filled with deep sadness, anger, resentment, fear, etc. When I finally got an email together and sent it to the kula (yoga group or family), I was overwhelmed with blessings from our community which warmed my heart and brought deep healing. Luckily, Nathan at Living Spirit Yoga warmly opened his space for Yin and an All Levels class on Saturday mornings. The Heart Room is also a lovely space for my Tuesday 10:30 am basics class. Eric Romano has generously asked me to teach Garden Yoga with him on Wednesdays at noon. The support for my new classes is amazing and it’s clear that getting fired is a huge blessing in disguise. Everyone who has attended, comments on the benefits of smaller classes in spaces filled with yogic energy. The props are superb, I have full control over the temperature and there is never an unwanted gust of annoying air. I am feeling deep gratitude.

As we enjoy the summer light, my prayer for all of us is to simply be present – with all that is. Take time to breathe deeply, see the beauty that is all around and lengthen the body. May we all use any negativity as rocket fuel to take us exactly where we are meant to be. You are worthy of that.

If you are in Olympia, please join me at any of the classes on my schedule. I am also available for private and semi-private lessons.

Namaste – The light within me salutes the light within you.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

So happy for you to be thriving and landing safely. Your Valley pals have indeed missed you and we can't wait to follow you wherever you go. Proud of you for following your heart.